Searching for the iconic Snowy Mountains silver brumby Paleface
Trek type Suitable for competent riders
Duration 3 or 5 days
Distance Total 50 – 100km
Daily 10 – 25km per day
Saddle correctly fitted Australian Stock Saddle, saddle cloth, bridle, halter, lead and pommel bags provided, (BYO saddle only by prior approval)
Horses Various breeds, mountain trained, legends!
Catering Fully catered with hearty fireside meals at Kosciusko base camp
Accommodation At Kosciusko base camp in tents and swags
From The Horses Mouth
Thanks so much Peter, Michelle, Marcus and Ibby for a really wonderful trekking experience in the Snowy Mountains.We were part of the first trekking group of the new season, mountains still capped with snow and many herds of brumbies out grazing on the plains. Peter and the team were excellent hosts and despite some pretty chilly conditions at times, -2 degrees one night, we had a fabulous time, great food and great company! Best wishes for the rest of the season.
Peter & Clair, New Zealand
We loved every minute of our wonderful man from snowy river experience from the incredible go anywhere mountain horses, to Michelle’s delicious gourmet cooking, to the amazing mountain scenery and so many laughs and great times with all the fantastic staff who worked tirelessly and happily to ensure we had the best holiday ever!!! Thanks guys, we love you!!
M’Bah Goon Gang
Had the best trip, great area knowledge by Trail Boss Pete Cochran. Fantastic horses, a horse for every riding level. My horse Butch was a legend! Total care by Ali, Cowboy & Pete. Volunteer Mel has loads of local brumby and area knowledge. Staff are hand picked by Pete for their expertise. They go the extra mile. Food was plentiful & delicious. Great ride mates, had a lovely time. Thank you for the laughter.
Karen and Pete
- Speciality trips with attention to detail whilst visiting the great snowy mountain area with very knowledgeable guides.
- Perfect, it’s just bloody awesome. My happy place.
- What an unforgettable, unbeatable experience. From the moment Peter picked us up to the moment we said goodbye. An extremely professional team and superb catering through to luxury camping. Thank you for your hospitality, humour, history lessons and the opportunity to experience such a magic part of this country. Most of all your beautiful, dependable horses made this journey one I will remember for a lifetime. 5 stars +
- I wish I was able to give more than 5 starts because I’ve just had 3 amazing days!! The horses are so nice and are picked wisely by Peter, the views were amazing and the stories even better. The food was exceptional and the staff is just perfect, they are so friendly and helpful. I wish I could do it again sometime, and I highly recommend it! The whole trip was just: Divine 😉
- Best experience ever! Loved every minute of every day. All horse lovers should experience this ride.
- Outstanding operation. Fantastic all round experience.
- I’ve ridden twice with Pete and the team and both experiences were incredible. One ride was across the mountains as part of the Man from Snowy River Festival which was one of the best weeks of my life, the second was a brumby ride – both were outstanding. The staff are fantastic, food is excellent and the horses are delightful – safe, quiet and fun to ride. Can’t recommend them highly enough!
- I have ridden with Cochran Horse Treks on many occasions and have always had an amazing experience! I highly recommend this friendly and professional company.
- Wilderness, horses, good food and good people. I had a great time, Peter and his guides know the country and their craft.
- Been three times, loved every day. Amazing horses and people.
- You couldn’t find a better mob to ride with. Get this on your bucket list people, it’s an amazing place to ride.
- This is a memory forever experience. Breathtaking scenery and new friends made. Horses are all made of sturdy stock and love what they do. Peter personally matches your horse with your riding ability. Staff feel more like friends and support you every step of the way. This is not glamping, but a real bush camping trip where you all pitch in. Food was exceptional, camp fires and an evening drink to reflect on the ride was a perfect way to end each day. Thank you, hope to do it again one day x
- The most incredible weekend of my life, from Peter picking the perfect horse for every rider, to the breath taking views, the staff, the food and the laughs. I will cherish the memories forever (until next year anyway). Thank you again for making our weekend so enjoyable. I’ll be telling everyone it’s a must do. See you next year!
- This is a must do experience for anyone who is a little horse mad!! Even if you haven’t ridden in years (35 yrs for me) the Cochran horse trek team take extremely good care of each and everyone of their guests…I cannot thank them enough!!!!! You guys rock. I will certainly be back again next year for more horsey shenanigans!!!
- On behalf of everyone at Mates4Mates, thank you for providing a very enjoyable, beneficial and healing experience for our Mates. I accompanied a group of veterans as they completed a Snowy Mountains Rehabilitation Adventure Challenge with Cochran Horse Treks which aimed to help improve their mental and physical wellbeing. From the moment we met Peter at the airport, to when we were dropped off, I knew we were in good hands. The staff are fantastic and they have managed to acquire a nice balance of skills and maturity, providing a beneficial program for everyone involved. I honestly can’t fault the program. We are greatly looking forward to working with Cochran Horse Treks again in the future and help more veterans in need.
Clinical Psychologist – Mates4Mates
Trek Dates & Details
Limited saddle seats are available from October to May, our summer season in the Snowy Mountains.
*Please note prices include National Park Fees – $5 per day for Adults
*A $250 deposit will secure your saddle seat now with the balance due 30 days before your Trek.
We are a small seasonal business and saddle seats are limited. So, we reserve saddle seats only when paid in full. Terms and conditions can be found here.
Please Note: Riders must be over 8 years old. Trek costs for all Riders are the same because our horses eat the same amount of hay regardless of who is riding up top! ☺
Private rides are available for families and groups. Ring us for more information.
What underwear and other REALLY important details for riders…
For your safety and comfort it’s important (essential) you read these detailed instructions to ensure you have a great time while you’re on holiday with us. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
You will be required to complete an Application to Ride on arrival. This is your agreement to our terms and conditions and liability waiver.